Chlorine in Your Drinking Water

Chlorine:  A halogen element that is isolated as a poisonous, greenish-yellow gas described as having a pungent/choking odor, that has many uses. It is often used as a disinfectant in water treatment.  It is a very corrosive and hazardous chemical.

The body does not absorb chlorine well.  According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) the potential health effects from exposure to chlorine above the MCL (I talked about those in my last blog) include: eye/nose irritation, stomach discomfort & anemia.  Short-term, high-level exposures include chest pain, vomiting, coughing, difficulty breathing and/or excess fluid in the lungs.  Long-term, low-level exposure includes tooth corrosion and lung disease.  Pregnant women double chances of having children with heart problems, cleft palate, and major brain defects.  This comes from trihalomethanes, THM’s, which are bi-products of the reaction between chlorine and natural substances in the water.  This can absorb into the skin and pass into the womb.

Over 50% of exposure happens in the shower.  The skin absorbs it and the lungs breath it in.  The heat from a shower release the chlorine vapors that contaminate the lungs.  If you can smell chlorine, it may be at an unsafe level.  There are no standards set by the government for chlorine allowed in the air.

In Des Moines, Iowa, I can smell the chlorine in my tap water.  My son has an allergy to chlorine, which became apparant when we moved to the Des Moinea area and he started having skin reactions with rashing.  We were alerted that he has a sensitivity to chlorine, which he now is taking medication for, but we need to take steps to have water treatment equipment installed to remove the chlorine. Thankfully we have used bottled water for years, for our drinking and cooking water.  It makes me feel good to know that I made the right decision years ago to start using Crystal Clear Bottled Water for my family and home needs.

The only way around chlorine in your water is to have your water treated with residential or commercial Chlorine Removal System’s.  For your drinking water, bottled water or a Drinking Water System would be the better way to take care of chlorine in your water.  See us for your water treatment and bottled water needs.

Next blog will discuss nitrates in the water….stay tuned for that.  Until next time at ‘The Water Blog’!!!